There is something about the combination of maple, pork, salt and smoke that makes your mouth water, especially when it's homemade! Making homemade bacon is easier than you think. All you need is your dry rub or wet brine and a little time. Seasons 25 lbs. of meat! So grab some pork bellies and get smokin'! Dry Rub Instructions - Makes 25 lbs. of meat.
Wet Instructions-Makes 20 lbs. of Meat:
- Begin with fresh bellies that have been chilled to 42 degrees within 24-30 hours after slaughter.
- Mix seasoning and cure together.
- Rub seasoning and cure mix onto the bellies. Be sure to cover meat completely.
- Place in covered container or zipper top bag. Refrigerate for 7 days, turn over bellies daily. It is important that the temperature is kept at a constant 38 degrees.
- Rinse bellies with fresh water and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Further dry the bellies by elevating them on cooling racks with a fan blowing over them. Allow to dry for 30 minutes on each side. This will form a pellicle, a sticky coating on the meat, that will allow smoke to absorb much better. You can also allow bellies to sit in the refrigerator overnight elevated on a cooling rack with a cover.
- Smoke the bacon using your usual smoking procedure.
- Remove bacon from smoker and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove rind if still intact.
- Bacon is ready for slicing or freeze unsliced. If not eaten within 7-10 days, freeze the bacon
- Dissolve entire seasoning packet and 4-3/4 tsp (22.6g) of cure into 1/2 gallon of water.
- Follow above directions 4 through 10 to complete bacon process.
Salt, Sugar, Maple Flavor (Natural & Artificial), Spice Extractives And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Cure Ingredients:
Salt, Sodium Nitrite (6%), Red 3, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide As A Processing Aid. Save 10% on this item when you buy this item along with one of the Briner Buckets. No promo code is needed. Just add both to your cart for the discount.
- Net Wt.: 26 oz. (737g)
- Seasoning Ingredients: Salt, Sugar, Maple Flavor (Natural & Artificial), Spice Extractives And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking.
- Cure Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Nitrite (6%), Red 3, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide As A Processing Aid.
- Contains No MSG