LEM now has a non-edible Hot Dog casing! Grind meat into a fine emulsion (3 times through a 3/16" plate). Then use one of the following preparation methods:
1. Stuff casings and place in 180 degree water and cook for 30 minutes or until internal temperature of meat reaches 165 degrees.
2. Place filled casings in a smoker, put a pan of water in the smoker to add humidity and cook at 180 degrees until internal temperature of meat reaches 165 degrees. DO NOT COOK IN OVEN.
When cooking is completed, immediately plunge hot dogs into ice water for 20 minutes to prevent shriveling. Refrigerate or freeze in casing.
Before eating, peel off the casings.
You can boil, grill or broil finished product. Makes approximately 27-28 lbs. of hot dogs.
- Use for: franks
- Size: 26mm (approximately 1")
- Preparation: No soaking needed, use right out of the package
- Cooking Method: boil or smoke until internal temperature reaches 165° - do not use in an oven
- Red color
- Makes anywhere from 27 - 28 lbs. of hot dogs
- Pleated into long tubes
Which Casing Do I Use? | Smoking The Perfect Sausage | Casing Troubleshooting
How To Make Sausage At Home: